[Mailman-Users] Human orinted interface

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Fri Oct 16 16:21:13 CEST 1998

[Jean-Bernard ADDOR]

> We have not finished the installation yet and I don't know what
> happen if a message is crossposted on many lists, but I strongly
> hope it will be send to a multiple subscriber only once.

I doubt it.  In order for that to work, Mailman would have to have:

 * a way of detecting when a message is posted to several Mailman
   lists.  Today the "post" commands for the various lists are started
   by the MTA, and lead entirely separate lives.

 * a way of deciding _which_ of the MTA-started "post" commands should
   send the message to the multiple-subscribed address.

A way of doing this would be to have a global database over what
message-ids (a message-uniqe ID, not necessarily from the Message-Id:
header.  Determining this id is not necessarily trivial) that have
been sent to what addresses.  The first list to process a new
message-id for anyt given address, enters the message-id/address pair
into the database, thereby blocking any other "post" commands from
sending that message to that address.

Personally, I think this would be rather kludgy (to say the least).

But, while we're on the subject of interprocess communication: I have
some lists consisting of sublists, and I would like all of them to be
moderated.  Is there any (moderation-safe) way of saying "Once a
message has been allowed onto the superlist, don't ask for
confirmation from the sublists"?
--
Harald