[Mailman-Users] mailman silently fails

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Dec 30 23:59:28 CET 1998

    BC> today i installed mailman with minimal problems on a solaris
    BC> box.  i did have to manually change
    BC> /home/mailman/archives/public to 'chmod g+x' in order to allow
    BC> some archival functions.

I'd like to hear more about this.  You shouldn't have to hack any
permissions unless you're upgrading from an older version of Mailman
(and in that case you should run bin/upgrade).  BTW, what version of
Mailman are you now running?

    BC> also, i misconfigured a list for news posting (forgot to put
    BC> the newsgroup name) and this caused mailman to silently
    BC> failed.  the posts were placed in the archive but they weren't
    BC> sent to the list and, of course, they didn't get posted.
    BC> perhaps the order should be changed so that the email gets
    BC> distributed before the other tasks happen.

Thanks for the bug report.  I'll bet if you look at the logs/error
file, you'll see a Python traceback indicating the error.  But I agree
that it's bogus that the message doesn't get delivered to the mailing
list; I've fixed this for the next version.

    BC> also, it would be good if the list admin were notified when
    BC> failures like that occur.  and, while i'm at it, i guess
    BC> newsgroup posting should not be enabled if a newsgroup isn't
    BC> specified.

Such errors show up in the log files, but it might still be a good
idea to send the list owner a message about the misconfiguration.
I'll see about that.

    BC> regardless, it is a great tool and i really appreciate it.

Thanks!  We're trying...

-Barry