[Mailman-Users] Localization

Ken Manheimer klm at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Aug 20 17:12:43 CEST 1998

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Tomas Fasth wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this list.

Welcome.

> IMHO, Mailman is a jolly good piece of software.

Yay - thanks!

> Have anyone tried to localize Mailman (translate to another language)?
> A quick look gave me a hint that it isn't that straight forward. It seem to
> exist quite a number of texts intended for user presentation inside scripts.
> Oh, maybe some are for the administrator presentation. Anyway, I wish to
> translate the whole thing. Like to share experiences on this topic, anyone?
> I intend to join the developer's list as well to discuss what can be done to
> make it easier in coming releases.

If you take a look at the latest mailman version (see
http://www.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-checkins for instructions
on following the current CVS revision), you'll see that we've (primarily
barry has) begun to separate out all the multi-line text messages into
separate files, and also are using a functional interface to the
messages.  Seems like this would be an opportune place to incorporate
locale sensitivity, among other things.  It would have to be generalized
a good bit to apply to *all* messages, but we suspect that it's a
start...

(This does seem like an ideal topic for mailman-developers, which is
concerned with coding and other, um, system development issues -
mailman-users is more for end-user and mailman-administrator sorts of
questions.)

Ken Manheimer		  klm at python.org	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

	# If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
		  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #