[Mailman-i18n] Esperanto translation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 14 16:03:46 EDT 2018

On 5/14/18 8:24 AM, Rubeno Fernández wrote:
> Yes, I'll be installing my translations on Ubuntu Xenial, where /usr/lib/
> mailman/templates is a symlink to /etc/mailman.

OK

> One more question: On mm_cfg.py I've set my server's language to Catalan
> (https://posto.esperanto.cat/listejo/listinfo), but I'd like to make its
> homepage and the email-list list bilingual in Catalan/Esperanto, is that
> possible? I can't seem to locate the right HTML template though, where is it
> pulled from?

In the list admin UI, in the upper left is Language options. You check
the languages that are available for the list and select one preferred
language which is the default.

Users can view the listinfo page in any of the available languages and
select any of the available as their preferred language.

> And a last question: Is there any way to prevent Mailman from base64-encoding
> all mail? Could I change the charset in the "add_language" lines for both
> Catalan and Esperanto from "utf-8" to "iso-8859-3"? That charset has got all
> letters needed for both languages.

The Python email package which Mailman uses base64 encodes all utf-8
message parts. There are ways the change that. Basically,
email.charset.Charset('utf-8').body_encoding is Charset.BASE64. I don't
recall offhand the details of how to do that, but if you can't figure it
out, I can try to help.

I would discourage using iso-8859-3, but you could do that for
Esperanto. If you were to do it for Catalan, in addition to changing the
add_language line, you need to recode all the templates and the message
catalog.