[Mailman-i18n] How can we switch mailman to KOI8-R charset for Russian?

Sergey Maslennikov for-mm-at-python at rplab.ru
Sun Jun 25 05:15:49 EDT 2017

Hi All,

We tried to upgrade Mailman from v. 2.1.9 to v. 2.1.20 (default for
Ubuntu 16.04) and discovered that for Russian language, mailman scripts
tuned the browsers to receive UTF-8 encoded text. How can we turn
mailman back to KOI8-R?

Our problem is that Russian symbols take 2 bytes each in UTF-8. We do
not want to inflate our lists twice. We want to use UTF-8 _only_ for
very mixed (English/Russian/Chinese, for instance) texts/lists, while
for English/Russian texts/lists we want to use one byte per symbol
encodings like KOI8-R or CP1251.

Sergey Maslennikov