[Mailman-i18n] Polish language template files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 18 14:36:21 EST 2017

On 01/18/2017 10:21 AM, Stefan Plewako wrote:
>> Wiadomość napisana przez Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> w dniu 18.01.2017, o godz. 18:45:
>>
>> It solves the problem of garbled characters in the web UI in
>> installations that maintain Mailman's character set for Polish as
>> iso-8859-2 but have web servers that force utf-8 or other non-iso-8859-2
>> charactersets
>
> Is it? Do I understand correctly that Mailman will on the fly detect encoding enforced by web server and convert texts provided for placeholders (also content?) in changed templates to that enforced encoding? I'm sure there are other good questions.

No. Mailman does not detect the encoding enforced by the web server.
Mailman builds pages from the templates as provided and sends them with
a Content-Type header specifying the encoding as Mailman's configured
character set for the language. The problem occurs when the web server
tries to enforce a different character encoding causing the encoding
specified to the browser to not match that of the page.

>> I don't understand. Can you elaborate on what exactly you don't like and
>> what you would prefer?
>
> I don't like rushed, not exactly understood changes to work of others without even attempting to consult them.

I have explained in the past my reasons for not accepting your utf-8
encoded templates and message catalog as is and have always recoded them
to iso-8859-2. You have been informed of this. See, e.g.,
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-i18n/2015-February/001854.html>.
What I have done here is only an extension of that recoding which
replaces iso-8859-2 encoded characters in html templates with equivalent
html entities.

Please understand that I appreciate your work in keeping the Polish
translation up to date and I hope you continue, but there are various
technical problems that can occur that would be disruptive to existing
Polish language lists if I just arbitrarily switched Mailman's encoding
for Polish to utf-8.