[Mailman-i18n] Polish language template files

Mark Dale mark at mailmanlists.net
Tue Jan 17 16:05:53 EST 2017

Hi Mark,

I've been in touch with the Polish Language maintainer (Stefan Plewako)
regarding the non-ascii characters that I am seeing.

In the language template files for Polish (Mailman 2.1.23) I see that
the non-ascii characters (letters with diacritics) are replaced with
question marks. These question marks get displayed in the Mailman web
pages for lists using Polish.

Stefan directed me to GitHub for the Polish language files and in those
I files I can see the Polish letters okay. (letters with diacritics)

I loaded Stefan's files into Mailman (replacing the existing) and all is
now well. I was surprised as I was thinking that the non-ascii
characters would need to be replaced with HTML entities - as you had
done for the Hungarian files a couple of months ago. Stefan had advised
me that doing that shouldn't be needed, and it seems he might be correct.

Is there a mismatch with the language files that got shipped in the
Mailman language files and Stefan's files on GitHub - or am I just
barking up the wrong tree?

I'm seeing the same issue for other languages, and I'm happy to chase
down files for those if that is what is needed (assuming they have been
created).

Czech
Greek
Estonia
Finnish
Croation
--Hungarian-- (discussed)
Japanese
Korean
Lithuanian
Polish
Portuguese
Slovenian
Turkish

I have close to zero understanding of the subject of character sets, but
I include this reference below in case it has any bearing on things.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-i18n/2015-February/001854.html

Regards,
Mark Dale

***** SNIP from Stefan's GitHub files *****
        Wiadomości do wszystkich prenumeratorów listy wysyłaj na adres:
          <A HREF="mailto:<MM-Posting-Addr>"><MM-Posting-Addr></A>.

korzystając z poniższych sekcji.

        Wiadomo�ci do wszystkich prenumeratorów listy wysy�aj na
adres:
          <A HREF="mailto:<MM-Posting-Addr>"><MM-Posting-Addr></A>.

korzystaj�c z poni�szych sekcji.