[Mailman-i18n] Charset of Plaintext Templates

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 13 15:12:08 EDT 2016

On 07/13/2016 10:23 AM, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:

> Thanks a lot. For my understanding, is there a per-language default
> charset somewhere in the code I've missed? There are several more UTF-8
> .txt files in other languages, some of which cannot be represented with
> ISO8859 (zh_CN for example).

There is a table at the end of Defaults.py which defines the supported
languages and their Mailman character sets. Many languages are already
utf-8 encoded.

You might think that changing the character set for a language is a
simple matter of just redefining the character set and recoding the
message catalog and templates, but it's more complicated than that. See
the thread at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2016-January/080275.html>
and the bug report at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/1462755/>.