[Mailman-i18n] Updated Polish translations

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 17 02:08:17 CET 2015

On 02/16/2015 03:32 PM, Stef wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tired to contact former Polish translators but without luck so far.
>
> For mail.mozilla.org <http://mail.mozilla.org> we needed Polish
> templates in unicode, so we
> created https://github.com/aviarypl/mailman-l10n-pl repository and it
> now contains message and template files converted to UTF-8, corrections
> and additional translations. I'm also planing to keep it updated for 2.1
> branch (right now 2.1.19rc3).
>
> Would it be possible to use these files to update official pl localization?

I will be happy to update the current Polish translation, but I'm
reluctant to change the character set for Polish from iso-8859-2 to utf-8.

Mailman 2.1.19 will change the character sets for Romanian and Russian
from iso-8859-2 and koi8-r respectively to utf-8, but these are special
cases in that iso-8859-2 was never fully appropriate for Romanian and
I've been convinced that koi8-r is not appropriate any longer for
Russian, but there are serious issues for existing lists in these
languages that may have string valued attributes in the old character
set in their configurations. There is now code in Mailman/versions.py to
attempt to find and convert such values, and the code is tested, but
since I have no real world lists in those languages, I don't know how
well it works in practice.

I see your templates and messages are currently updated to the most
recent revs in the upstream branch. I will pick them up, convert them
back to iso-8859-2 (as long as there are no utf-8 characters
unrepresentable in iso-8859-2) and install them for the final.

If you want the final to use utf-8 for Polish, you can file a bug at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+filebug> and argue for it there.

There are pros and cons for converting Polish. I plan to upgrade all the
mail.python.org lists as soon as 2.1.19 final is released, and there are
actually a few Polish lists there. On the one hand, this would be a good
real world test of my conversion, but on the other, I've promised to do
my best to make the upgrade non-disruptive to existing lists.