[Mailman-i18n] Looking for the coordinator of zh_cn mailmani18n.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 29 03:50:27 CEST 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Christopher Meng wrote:

>Hi,I'm new here.I just want to translate mailman into
>Chinese(Simplified),so I'm looking for Leona
>(http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages)

We currently don't have a very good translation story for Mailman 3.  While
all the good coding standards are still in place (i.e. translated template
lookup, gettext style strings in source code), what is missing is extraction
and uploading of catalogs, downloading language packs, etc.

Unfortunately, this is not something I have time to work on right now.  Maybe
someone in the mailman-i18n community can take a look at our options, the
pluses and minuses, and give us a report.

Here are the options I know about:

 - Launchpad translations.  Pros: free software, project already hosted there.
   Cons: our source tree layout isn't compatible with their model, and I'm not
   sure how to handle our templates.

 - Transifex.net.  Pros: open source, demo looked very nice at Pycon, has an
   API that may integrate better with our workflow.  Cons (maybe): Unsure of
   the best way to utilize the site, how many translators do they have?

 - translatewiki.net.  Pros: open source (I think), had some discussion with
   their developers back in January.  Cons: is wiki a good fit for translating
   Mailman?  May have some problems ensuring FSF requirements for
   contributions.

 - Pootle and similar.  Cons: I really don't want *us* running any translation
   service; too hard to babysit based on our resources.

What else is out there?

-Barry