[Mailman-i18n] [Pootle] Web UI for translation

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Jun 24 07:59:27 CEST 2008

To: Cristóbal, Mailman-i18n
____________________________

Hi everyone :)

Yes, the Mailman project is currently testing a Web distributed-
translation interface: Pootle. You may well have encountered Pootle in
other projects: it's a big help. You can choose to translate online,
offline or a combination of both, but it means all your files are
current and available on the Web. Pootle has a number of built-in
tools which streamline the l10n workflow.

Cristóbal has been doing all the work, and I have been heckling, er,
helping him. ;)

On 23/06/2008, at 6:53 PM, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:31:22PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
>>
>> Would you please create a "Mailman" project, then upload the
>> current PO
>> files (or just a couple of different languages, including vi.po, if
>> you
>> don't want to upload them all)?
>
> I uploaded a few for testing. You can go here:
>
>  http://garp.metalab.unc.edu:8080/projects/mailman/admin.html

[Note: this is a _temporary_ address. Translators, please don't
register or login yet. This address will change.]

> to add a language and from there upload more files yourself.

It looks good! :)

>> For example, Mailman uses git: Pootle syncs with git, but you will
>> want
>> to test that.
>
> Do I have to install a plugin or somesuch? I thought mailman (as a
> project) used bzr?

My mistake: I've confused you with another project. Mailman was the
reason I requested Pootle support _bzr_. And it does. Pootle supports
quite a few source-control systems now.

>> Later on, you may want to create separate projects for different
>> parts
>> of Mailman, e.g.
>>
>> Mailman TRUNK
>> Mailman STABLE
>> Mailman (branch)
>> Mailman website
>> Mailman wiki
>>
>> You may even want to split the very large Mailman PO file into
>> several
>> pieces within each project. That will attract more participation.
>
> I went ahead and started with a "mailman trunk" project and pulled the
> few .po files from the sourceforge repo here:
>
>  https://mailman.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mailman
>
> Please let me know if that's wrong. Let me know what our next step in
> this process is. At some point maybe this discussion should move to
> mailman-i18n instead of CC-ing Barry constantly?

That's a good idea. I've copied this mail to mailman-i18n.

The Mailman TRUNK project looks fine. I would suggest simply uploading
the mailman.po file: there's no need to include the LC_MESSAGES
directory. That would just mean an extra step each time anyone wanted
to edit the file.

I also think we should split the mailman.po file into several smaller
files. People are more likely to spend their half-hour or hour of
spare time working on a smaller file, because they can see the effect.
Working on a smaller file shows more success. It's finishing files and
seeing those green bars that gives you a good feeling, not completing
only part of a large file. (This situation has come up in other
projects, as well.)

I tried Updating the file from SVN, but it timed out. I expect you
haven't set that part up yet. Also, it's not really useful to test
with SVN if we're going to be using bzr. I suggest you delete the
current file and upload again from bzr, the latest po files, if
possible. It's always more useful to test with current files.

Keep up the good work! A couple more steps, and we'll have a working
Pootle server! :D

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n