[Mailman-i18n] Slovak translation of GNU Mailman

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jul 31 02:21:20 CEST 2007

On Jul 28, 2007, at 3:52 AM, Dov Zamir wrote:

>> Here's something I've been thinking about, and I'd like to know
>> what you folks think about this. Short of using a translation
>> service such as Rosetta or Pootle, how can we make translations
>> easier to add and update? What if all translators were to use
>> Bazaar branches of the 2.1 tree to update and add new translations
>> to? Then all we (i.e. core developers) would need to do would be
>> to merge your branch to test the changes. It would make it easier
>> for you because your translation branch could be easily kept up-to-
>> date with the official 2.1 branch, and it would be easier for us
>> to merge in your changes. Is this a crazy idea or a good one? It
>> should be fairly easy to implement both for you all and for us. If
>> anybody has any questions about Bazaar, of course, we're here to
>> help.

> It sounds good to me. It seems to me that this would simplify
> keeping the translation up-to-date, and still not jepordize the
> main branch. It will also give me a good place and method to store
> the translation. This is a definite improvement over the present
> situation!

>> If you like this idea, I'd be happy to create a Launchpad team
>> that you could join and publish branches to, although it would /
>> not/ be required to use this. In other words, you could use any
>> Bazaar

> I'd be happy to join a launchpad team.

>> branch hosting service to publish your i18n branches, even one you
>> hosted yourself. The only thing I'd request is that we update the
>> wiki page http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages to include
>> the location of the branch.  The really cool thing is that we
>> could write a script to automatically scrape that page and pull
>> your updates whenever we're about to cut a new release. Martin,
>> how would you like to be the test subject on this one? :)

> Again, if you would like more than 1 test subject...

Hi Dov,

If you have the time, let's see how far we can get with this idea,
and see if it'll work in the short term for us (until we have a
fuller discussion of moving to a better system).

My recommendation would be this:

* sign up for a Launchpad account
* create your own bzr branch of the 2.1 official branch
* integrate the Hebrew translation into your branch and test it
* push your branch to your Launchpad user account
* let us know what the URL is

We can then try to merge your branch into the official 2.1 branch if
it all looks good, we can commit the changes.  You can keep your
branch up to date with the official one by doing 'bzr pull' or 'bzr
merge' when you see changes on the mailman-checkins list.

Cheers,
- -Barry