[Mailman-i18n] Using bzr for translation commits (was: Re: Slovak translation of GNU Mailman

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sat Jul 28 07:51:32 CEST 2007

On 28/07/2007, at 9:58 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Here's something I've been thinking about, and I'd like to know what
> you folks think about this.
>
> Short of using a translation service such as Rosetta or Pootle,

Pootle would definitely make things easier, and gain you more
translator participation.

> how
> can we make translations easier to add and update?  What if all
> translators were to use Bazaar branches of the 2.1 tree to update and
> add new translations to?  Then all we (i.e. core developers) would
> need to do would be to merge your branch to test the changes.  It
> would make it easier for you because your translation branch could be
> easily kept up-to-date with the official 2.1 branch, and it would be
> easier for us to merge in your changes.
>
> Is this a crazy idea or a good one?  It should be fairly easy to
> implement both for you all and for us.  If anybody has any questions
> about Bazaar, of course, we're here to help.
>
> If you like this idea, I'd be happy to create a Launchpad team that
> you could join and publish branches to, although it would /not/ be
> required to use this.  In other words, you could use any Bazaar
> branch hosting service to publish your i18n branches, even one you
> hosted yourself.  The only thing I'd request is that we update the
> wiki page
>
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Languages
>
> to include the location of the branch.  The really cool thing is that
> we could write a script to automatically scrape that page and pull
> your updates whenever we're about to cut a new release.
>
> Martin, how would you like to be the test subject on this one? :)
>
> Thoughts?

This is my first encounter with bzr. I installed it last night (via
MacPorts), and according to the wiki page for bzr, it seems similar
enough to svn from the user POV. As long as committing a translation
via bzr is as straightforward as committing via svn, it shouldn't be
a problem for people accustomed to using source control. (We're still
losing the vast majority of linguists, who are not technically
minded, so Pootle is still my recommendation.)

For source control, I still prefer svn. ;)  For one thing, it's
embedded into my favourite tools: my translation editor, my text
editor and my file manager — bzr is not.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)