[Mailman-i18n] i18n workflow (and encodings)?

Frederic Lehobey Frederic.Lehobey at free.fr
Thu Nov 16 09:49:57 CET 2006

Hi,

I am willing to provide updates to the French translation of
mailman. I have already sent a patch¹ to Pascal George (the head of the
French translation team:
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/i18n.html) with respect to the
version in trunk, precisely:

http://mailman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mailman/trunk/mailman/messages/fr/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po?view=log

but he told me trunk was not the proper place to work on and that I
was duplicating work. But he has not answered so far to my questions
of what was the preferred place.

So my question is: which main mailman.po should I take as an
authoritative start for future updates? What is the proper workflow
for localisation updates? Sorry if it is already explained somewhere
and I have not spotted it yet².

I have an other question. In the HTML pages translated, there are many
HTML tags like é à and so on... Is it safe to replace
them everywhere with their 8 bit counterparts (é, à, ...)? (It makes
the translation handling much more convenient.) If yes, what should be
the exact encoding to use for the common mailman.po? (UTF-8, ISO
8859-15, ISO 8859-1?)

Thanks for your help,
Frédéric Lehobey

1. For the curious: http://lehobey-rennes.dyndns.org/mailman/trunk/