[Mailman-i18n] [Fwd: mailman galician language]

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Thu Mar 9 12:09:53 CET 2006

On 09/03/2006, at 6:25 PM, Frco Javier Rial wrote:

> I want to translate mailman to Galician language.

Benvida, Javier! :)

> what do i have to do?

I'm copying in below an answer I gave to the same question from
another translator. I've edited it to be appropriate for your
language. I hope it's useful. Please read the recent mails on this
list with the subject "Re: [Mailman-i18n] greek lang - el".

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)
___
***Procedure for translating Mailman***

I've just started translating Mailman, myself, so I can pass on my
experience:

1. Download the Mailman tarball (.tar file):

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

(use the Download link at the top of the page).

2. Decompress the files.

3. The translatable files are in two locations: /messages and /templates

(a) In /messages, create an /gl directory, then create a sub-
directory, LC_MESSAGES, inside /gl, so you have /messages/gl/LC_MESSAGES

Copy the messages.pot file into LC_MESSAGES. Renname it to
messages.po, and translate it (/messages/gl/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po)
It's quite a long file, but you can examine the Mailman interface of
any mailing list (easier if you administer a mailing list), and ask
questions here. :)

(b) There are, I think, 44 html templates in /templates. So
translating Mailman is not a quick job. It will take a while. I plan
to finish the interface (messages.po), then work on the templates bit
by bit, with my other projects.

In the /templates directory, again create an /gl directory, so you
have /templates/gl

Now, copy the contents of the /templates/en (English) directory into
your /templates/gl directory. You don't need to rename any of these
files. Their location in the /gl directory identifies them as
Galician translations.

4. Once you have completed all your translations (!! :D ), you can
build the application to test them, but that is for the future.

Good luck with your translation, and please ask questions here. I am
probably encountering the same issues as you will, so I may be able
to help with simple things. There are much more experienced people
here who can help you with more complex issues.

NOTE A: if you're not used to Python named variables, they look like
this:

%(word)d — for a quantitative [number] value

or

%(word)s  — for an otherwise descriptive value

and you _don't_ change them in any way. Don't translate the word in
the brackets, however normal it may look. It must stay the same. You
can reposition this variable anywhere in your translation, as long as
you don't change it itself.

NOTE B: I have encountered some Python named variables in messages.po
with words attached to them. I have found this difficult to
understand, and you can read my recent posts about them, and the
replies from list members. When I do understand them better, I will
try to explain them. Or you can explain them to me! :)

Good luck!

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)
_____