[Mailman-i18n] Variable correct?

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sun Mar 5 14:07:02 CET 2006

On 05/03/2006, at 11:24 PM, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:

> In admin.py, there is a line:
>     extra = msg and _('right ') or ''
> before the above translation catalog.
>
> So, if extra is 'right ', then "the %(extra)slist" is substituted
> to "the right list".  On the other hand, if extra is '', "the %
> (extra)slist" becomes "the list".  The catalog notation is correct.

Yes, but that substitution won't work for languages which place the
adjective after the noun: "list right", not "right list". Breaking up
phrases like that is bound to cause errors. :(

There are a lot of languages which place the adjective after the
noun. Mine is one of them.

Also, if this means a completely bare "right" occurs in the PO file,
that could mean "right" as in "right and left" or "right" as in
"right and wrong". How do we know which one to use?

> You are advised to read the original source code since the
> translation is always context dependent.
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/

Thanks. Context in the PO file saves a lot of looking up, and even
more importantly, creates higher-quality translations. ;)

___ (referring to a thread on translation-i18n___

Inserting context information in a gettext PO file is strongly
recommended, and facilitated by the gettext software.

As of today [some weeks ago], [further context capacity] is addressed
in the GNU gettext CVS.
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gettext/gettext/
The NEWS file will state in a few days:

* GUI program support:
   - PO files can now contain messages constrained to a certain context.
     Most often such a context is a menu, dialog or panel
identification.
     The syntax in the PO file is
       msgctxt "context"
       msgid "original"
       msgstr "translation"
   - The xgettext program can be told through the --keyword flag which
     function/macro argument has the role of a context.
   - The (non-public) include file gettext.h defines macros pgettext,
dpgettext
     etc. that take a context argument.
   For more information, see the node "Contexts" in the manual.
___

We have always had context capacity, but this will make it easier for
projects with specific PO-file-handling procedures. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)