[Mailman-i18n] Registered at Rosetta

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 6 22:40:04 CET 2005

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> So the GPL also holds for none-software in the US since translations are
> pure text as such (i.e. the simple translation of a .po file partly into
> another language) and not software in the sense of Austrian author's
> rights law (at least)?

The GPL applies to the "Program", which is defined as "any program or
other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying
it may be distributed under the terms of this General Public License."
(clause 0 of the GPL)

> Yes, obviously. The question is this is desirable.

I'm not trying do defend the FSF policy. I'm merely pointing out what
the FSF policy *is* (or, rather, what I think the FSF policy is -
I don't speak for the FSF).

If that really is the FSF policy, then mailman can only call itself
"GNU mailman" if it complies with the FSF policy - this is the game
in the GNU project. Whether or not to enforce FSF policy in the
mailman project is up to the mailman maintainers (for which I don't
speak, either).

And if GNU mailman implements FSF policy, whether or not translators
want to work with the mailman project, is their choice - I don't
speak for the translators, obviously. But *if* they decide to cooperate
with the project, and *if* the project agrees to implement FSF
policy, *then* translators will have to sign papers.

Regards,
Martin