[Mailman-i18n] encoding problem in cron/mailpasswds

Bartosz Sawicki sawickib at iem.pw.edu.pl
Mon Dec 6 17:50:10 CET 2004

Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
> Yes, there was a bug report in SF and I believe I fixed it. See
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mailman/mailman/cron/mailpasswds

Thank you for explanation. Thats nice to hear that bug is already closed. :)

> There may be chance that a user input his password in a different
> language so passwords should be once transformed unicode. Last code in
> 2.1.5 failed to reverse encode into list language. May be we should
> restrict passwords within ascii 7bit characters. ([\x21-\x7f])

I think that restriction to ASCII charset is good idea. In fact in
Poland people are used to such limitation. Using many information
systems we can read "password can _not_ contain polish letters".
Of course unicode is the future, but at this moment I wouldn't used
password with strange characters.

cheers
BArtek