[Mailman-i18n] charset anoyance

Santiago Garcia Mantinan mailman-i18n at manty.net
Wed Oct 29 16:02:04 EST 2003

Hi!

I'm sending this here because it is language related, sorry if this is not
the list to post it.

First I see that for the Spanish language we are having iso-8859-1 instead
of iso-8859-15 which would allow us to use the euro symbol and all that.

Second, I see an anoyance when running lists in a country that different
language are used, or even with certain mailers alone, the problem is this:

Suppose I have a list which default language is using charset iso-8859-1,
then somebody comes and posts in iso-8859-15 and you get it all in three
mime parts, one for the header, in iso-8859-1, one for the body in
iso-8859-15 and then the footer in iso-8859-1 again. This seems quite
anoying, at least when yo look at it. I was wondering if there is, or if it
would make sense to add, something so that this doesn't happen.

Also I see something that is for sure doable, and it is that when the same
person writes with some mailers like mutt and doesn't use any 8 bits
character, then the mailer would encode the text as us-ascii, which if I'm
not wrong, should mix ok with iso-8859-1, I mean that the hole message could
come as one using iso-8859-1, and that is not done right now.

Well, just a couple of ideas, that's all.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net