[Mailman-i18n] Unicode in headers

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
23 Sep 2002 11:18:45 +0200

barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> Alternatively, we could try to provoke a UnicodeError early, at the
> __init__ or .append call by doing something like:

I see no reason to provoke a UnicodeError at all. An exception should
only be raised if the library cannot correctly process the data being
passed, or if the requested processing is ambiguous.

In this case, neither is the case: there is a perfectly correct and
meaningful processing of the data. If you raise an exception, the
application would need to deal with it just in the same way as I
propose.

> I think I could live with that, and will work out a different
> algorithm in Mailman.

I think users of the email package will find it more acceptable if no
exception is raised.

Regards,
Martin