[Mailman-i18n] "Funny" characters in real names?

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
18 Sep 2002 08:13:15 +0200

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> This seems to work fairly well (with some ugly changes also necessary
> to the logging system), with one minor kludge.  I want to allow
> non-ASCII characters in real names for English lists.  I'm nervous
> about changing the default charset for English from us-ascii because
> I'm superstitious about unintended side-effects.  So I'm making a
> couple of special cases for us-ascii.  When decoding a string from a
> web form, if the default charset would be us-ascii, I'll use
> iso-8859-1 instead.  Then when encoding a name in an email header, if
> the charset is us-ascii, again, I'll use iso-8859-1.  This seems like
> a practical compromise, if a bit ugly.  Feedback is welcome.

Do you already send the page that has the form in iso-8859-1, or do
you use latin-1 only when interpreting form data?

If the latter, I think you gain nothing: the web browser will not
transmit latin-1 data if the form was us-ascii, so decoding the data
with latin-1 will work, but not allow to transmit latin-1 data.

On encoding Unicode names in email messages: I hope you have a general
fallback to UTF-8. If all else fails, UTF-8 will still work, and DTRT.

Regards,
Martin