[Mailman-i18n] Welcome to Mailman 2.1

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon Nov 4 20:59:08 2002

    BG> OK!  I went to the user options page and went through a number
    BG> of languages to see what interfaces I got.  To be extra mean
    BG> to the page, I entered my real name with Japanese characters
    BG> (from the US English page!) and the Unicode character
    BG> references came through perfectly. Good job with that!

Cool!

    BG> Two issues:

    BG> I selected Simplified Chinese as my interface at
    BG> http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-i18n/che@debian.org
    BG> and got:

    BG> Bug in Mailman version 2.1b4+ We're sorry, we hit a bug!  If
    BG> you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a
    BG> copy of this page to the webmaster for this site with a
    BG> description of what happened. Thanks!  Traceback: Traceback
    BG> (most recent call last): File
    BG> "/usr/local/mailman-2.1/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
    BG> main() File "/usr/local/mailman-2.1/Mailman/Cgi/options.py",
    BG> line 594, in main options_page(mlist, doc, user, cpuser,
    BG> userlang, msg) File
    BG> "/usr/local/mailman-2.1/Mailman/Cgi/options.py", line 616, in
    BG> options_page fullname =
    BG> Utils.uncanonstr(mlist.getMemberName(user), userlang) File
    BG> "/usr/local/mailman-2.1/Mailman/Utils.py", line 768, in
    BG> uncanonstr return s.encode(charset) LookupError: unknown
    BG> encoding

    BG> [snip]

    BG> I wonder if I didn't confuse it with my Unicode real
    BG> name.. want to give it a look, Barry?

Nope, the problem is that Python doesn't come with Chinese support out
of the box so if you haven't installed the Chinese codecs, you
shouldn't be allowed to choose that your list supports that language.
I believe I have code in the Language category that tightens this up
(although it won't de-select Simplified Chinese for you by default).

If the list admin doesn't enable a language, then users can't choose
it either.

    BG> Other than that, looks pretty good. I think the Korean
    BG> translation is a bit out of date (English peeks through here
    BG> and there) but the Japanese one looks great!

Cool!  We just need to get updated Korean translations.
-Barry