[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:14:33 +0900

    Gary> hiya.  I've got Mailman 2.1.b1 installed, and I was
    Gary> wondering about international (specifically Japanese)
    Gary> characters in the subject line. When recieving via e-mail
    Gary> (and viewing with a capable e-mail client), the subject
    Gary> line, text, etc are all displayed correctly. As a test, I
    Gary> put a few kanji in the title and message body, and hopped
    Gary> over to the archives.  The kanji/japanese in the body showed
    Gary> up just fine, but the subject line became this:
    Gary> =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCRnxLXDhsISkbKEI=?= Is this a known
    Gary> bug/work in progress, or is there something I can change to
    Gary> fix it?

Pipermail is just not meant to work with multiple character sets,
unfortunately.  It needs major work.  Even if we hacked it to properly
decode subject/from/to/cc header lines, the first time two people
posted to the list in different character sets, you would get an
invalid archive!

We are working on a solution, but it's going to take major major
work on Pipermail.

For the time being, if you would like an archiving system with ties to
Mailman that supports Japanese (even in the subject line), please see
my system to integrate Mailman with Hypermail:

http://nausicaa.interq.or.jp/mailman/hypermail-conf/

Just turn off pipermail archiving and turn on "archive to mbox" only
for all your lists, and these cron jobs will create the spool
directories etc. automatically.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters O and L and the number 16.
"A kinkle is a clever method."