[Mailman-i18n] HTML entities (é) in es, it, no translations

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 10:43:45 +0800 (WST)

Quoting Tokio Kikuchi <tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp>:

> iso-2022-jp conatins " and \ in the second byte. Big5 also.
>
> I think iso-2022-jp is only for message transportation and
> not good for text manipulation like within Mailman.
>
> I still recommend all the messages and templates should
> be encoded in EUC-JP within Mailman and Web Interfaces, and
> converting them into iso-2022-jp when mail is in and out.

The GNU gettext utilities should be able to handle these charsets without
problem (provided you have gettext >= 0.10.36).  There were a number of
changes between 0.10.35 and 36, so that it takes the encoding into account
when processing the file (so that the second byte of a multi-byte character
doesn't need to be escaped; in fact, if you did escape bytes like that, the
file won't work with newer gettext).  Whether the python tools do the same
when processing a message catalog is another matter.

James.

--
James Henstridge <james@daa.com.au>