[Mailman-i18n] More problems ;)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 19:45:01 -0400

    TW> The dutch plural of member ('lid') is not created by adding an
    TW> 's' (it's "leden".) In fact, it's generally not true that "s"
    TW> makes the best plurals ("en" would be better, in Dutch, though
    TW> that wouldn't fix it in this case.)

    TW> Barry, shall I just rewrite such cases to make them more
    TW> easily translatable?

Yes, I think that's fine.

    MvL> Getting this right is non-trivial: a number of languages
    MvL> (e.g. Russian) have more than two forms that depend on
    MvL> number, e.g. 1, 2-4, and 5 or more; sometimes these repeat
    MvL> following certain formulas, e.g. 101 might require the same
    MvL> grammatical form as 1.

[Martin goes on to explain the scary increase in gettext complexity.]

<shudder>

Let's just do the best we can for now.  Adding all this complexity to
the toolset right now worries me.  I think/hope we can work around
most of it by rewriting the code.  I also hope that it isn't a huge or
common problem.  Definitely assuming that a trailing `s' makes a word
plural is a quaint English tradition that we should fix in the code
where possible.

-Barry