[Mailman-i18n] Marking the code

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:10:08 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Vizi Szilard wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My task is to mark the texts in the following files: private.py,
> roster.py and subscribe.py
>
> I've had problems marking texts in these files.
> The biggest question for me is that in my files there are messages
> to the syslog, like this
>   LogStdErr("error", "private")

You should only be marking user visible error messages.  Text for
critical/fatal error messages is best left untranslated.  When people send
in bug reports about these sort of problems, we want the developer to be
able to understand them.

If these types of error messages are in a language the developer can't
understand, then they are much less useful.

> Must I mark these texts like the other translatable text?
>
> And the other problem is connected with the form.has.key("something"),
> something=UserOptions or Digest or Membership Management, etc.
> The problem here is that the "something string" must be marked
> and then translated in other files.

It should only be marked where it needs to be translated for display to
the user.  If the actual string is set somewhere else, then we might need
something similar to the gettext_noop() dummy function/macro used in C.

> So I think I should mark it, but in the other way, it
> is a variable (it tells something to form.has.key), and we must not
> change any variable.

James.