[Mailman-i18n] Re: translations

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:56:37 +0100 (MET)

Hi all!

Juan Carlos Rey Anaya wrote:
> Pioppo wrote:
> >
> > Does this mean that my python installation lacks some module?
[...]
> >     from Mailman import gettext
> > ImportError: cannot import name gettext
> >
> No, I think I forgot to send you gettext.py the file needed to access
> catalog.
> I send you.
[...]
> """This module allows python programs to use GNU gettext message catalogs.
[...]
> Author: James Henstridge <james@daa.com.au>
> Modified by: Juan Carlos Rey Anaya <jcrey@uma.es> to support dinamic loading
>              of catalogs by examining environment variables. This is needed for
> 	     i18n of Mailman.
[...]

Interesting!  I didn't knew that someone else has already written
something so similar to the module 'fintl.py' I wrote last year for
the same task,  which I submitted to Barry last year.  However in
my implementation I didn't include the possibility to write GNU
'.mo' files.  But I think this will be rarely useful in an application
program and so will be unnecessary overhead.  However my implementation
makes use of the C-extension module 'intl.so' by Martin v. Löwis, if
it available, which speeds things up a little bit.  Only iff 'intl' is
not available (may be due to licensing problems, of course this doesn't
effect mailman, since it is GPLed or because the application runs on
another platform, it will fallback into a pure Python implementation,
which is surpringly close to what James H. developed independent
from me.

I will have a look into what Juan requires for his dynamic loading
and whether this can also be done if using my version 'fintl.py'.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Tel: 04222 9502 70, Fax: -60