[Mailman-Developers] Problems with the encoding of the list pages

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Wed Jul 11 07:22:54 EDT 2018

Hi,

since I've updated my mailman instances to 2.1.27 I have problems with
the encoding of my list pages. Many of my users are using German Umlauts
(Ö, Ä, Ü, ö, ä, ü, ß) in their listconfiguration, e.g. for the list
description or the list info texts. Those special characters are broken
now, while the other special German characters, that are comming from
the template files of the page, are OK.

It seems that the list templates are encoded in ISO-8859-1 and the
content, which is unique for every list, is stored an displayed as
UTF-8.

I don't know if something went wrong via the update process or what else
caused the issue, but with earlier mailman versions I did no have those
problems and some of my installations are quite old.

Do you have any idea what I can do to solve this issue? The best IMHO
would be to convert the whole setup to UTF-8, but as long as the
template files are stored as ISO-8859-1 or do not have any charset
stored in the html header of the page, this is difficult.

I have also tried to convert the list settings for every list from UTF-8
back to ISO-8859-1 with the config_list command and iconv. Maybe I could
solve the issue this way... What do you think?

Has anything changed in mailman 2.1.27 that caused this encoding issue
and do others have those problems also?

cheers and thanks for any help,

  Schoepp

--