[Mailman-Developers] Small contrib script

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 6 20:16:32 EST 2018

On 01/06/2018 04:28 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-01-06 at 15:25 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> On your branch's code page will be a "Propose for merging" link. Follow
>> that, set the Target Branch to ~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1, add a
>> description if you like and "Propose Merge"
>
> OK, done. I had to frog around a bit and mentally review my work from
> some years ago with cvs, which bzr resembles. There's one deleted
> revision in the revision history for mailman (sorry) since I was
> learning by doing.

I'm looking at it now.

> mailman-config.py, which this branch adds, is the result of a recent
> discussion in the mailman-users list. I use Courier as my mail suite
> (IMAP, MTA, Custom spam filtering, virtual mailboxes, etc.) and since
> Courier is often built from source outside of a distribution's package
> management, the Courier developers (notably Sam Varshavchik) have
> wisely included a "courier-config" utility which, when executed, shows
> the build-time configure options used in building the package plus a
> few other things.

The problem with what you currently have done is the configured script
only exists in the source build/contrib directory which will disappear
if one runs 'make distclean' and which is somewhat obscure to find in
any case.

If this is to be truly useful, it should be a bin/ command so it gets
into the installed Mailman.