[Mailman-Developers] Subject munging with non-ascii

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 28 00:14:25 EST 2018

On 02/27/2018 08:37 PM, Bob Puff wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just got a report today from one of my Mailman 2 lists, where I have a
> subject prefix set (like [Listname] ).  It seems that if the subject
> line has non-ascii characters in it, Mailman is not messing with it, and
> adding in the requested prefix.  Could this be an easy fix?

This shouldn't be happening. Is the non-ascii subject properly RFC 2047
encoded or does it actually have non-ascii bytes?

If the former, prefixing should work. If the latter, the message is
non-compliant and all bets are off (we don't even know the character set
of the subject), but we should try to make it work anyway.

In order to know how to fix it if it can be fixed, I'd like to see the
original raw subject as it arrives to Mailman, and what Mailman version
is this?