[Mailman-Developers] mailman 2.x user/group name

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Thu Feb 8 08:44:47 EST 2018

On Wed 2018.02.07 at 19:10 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 02/07/2018 04:10 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> >
> > Because the mailman configure requires the user and group to exist prior
> > to running, as well as hard coding the actual values once run, it
> > becomes very hard for porters/packagers when trying to support multiple
> > mail servers and their respective user/group configurations (sendmail,
> > postfix, exim, openstmpd, etc); and additionally the various web
> > servers. Either we have to create a package for every combination or
> > come up with another solution.
>

> This is a common problem faced by all downstream packagers. While I
> appreciate your sharing your solution, at this point in the lifecycle of
> Mailman 2.1, I think most if not all downstream packagers have addressed
> this in their own similar but incompatible ways.
>
> I think for the Mailman 2.1 developers (read "me") to try to implement a
> solution upstream at this point would help only the one downstream that
> was already doing it that way and just make more work for the others.
>
> Note that there are many packaging issues to be faced for Mailman 3
> (Debian for one is working on it and the GNU Mailman project is
> distributing Docker containers), but at least there are no SETGID
> compiled wrappers and group mismatch errors to contend with.

I agree. There's probably not much use in fleshing out a solution for a
version that's on the edge of retirement. I just noticed the
conversation and shared my solution (since it seems I never did when I
said was going to!) - I'm sure there's a pile of others that equally
work.

Thanks for your comments.