[Mailman-Developers] DMARC mitigation code question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Oct 20 14:15:03 EDT 2017

On 10/20/2017 09:24 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> It looks as if munging on a policy of "p=none" is a per-list or per-site
> choice. I cut out code related to the mlist object from my application
> so this remained as a default.

That's the issue. The stanza beginning at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/Mailman/Utils.py#L1352>
requires three conditions to return True on p=none. They are all
conditions on list settings:

dmarc_none_moderation_action - True
dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action - True
dmarc_moderation_action - Munge From or Wrap Message.

This is consistent with the web UI help text at
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/Mailman/Gui/Privacy.py#L339>

> I've set line 1359 to "return False", but
> will give the issue some thought and possibly make it a configuration
> option from a comment-annotated variable definitions near the start of
> the code. I'm trying to keep this piece as simple as possible. For
> anyone interested, I've posted the dmarc_shield.py publicly at
> <http://linode.fmp.com/contrib/dmarc_shield.py>.

I recommend just deleting the entire stanza at lines 1352-1360 which
will fall through to the "return False" at line 1361.