[Mailman-Developers] Extracting some Mailman code

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Oct 16 23:39:42 EDT 2017

Alessandro Vesely writes:

 > I'm unclear how adding a Reply-To:, depending on users' clients is
 > going to affect mailing list traffic.  For an alternative, when the
 > usual action is to reply to mailing list, it seems to me to be
 > smoother to just mangle the From: so as to make it like so:
 >
 >    John Doe <john.doe at example.org.REMOVE.THE.TRAILING.PARTS>
 >
 > Although the addition of capitalized anti-spam diversions in the
 > domain part of email addresses is still en vogue in several mailing
 > list, this method never gained traction.  Why?

I would guess the main reasons are that it's ugly and makes the
convenient automatic field-filling features of MUAs inaccurate,
especially those MUAs that don't actually present the address (which
are very common these days).

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information