[Mailman-Developers] Problem getting tox to use mysql

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 8 16:14:42 EDT 2017

I'm trying to work on the issue
<https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues/385>.

I've been unable to make a test fail. I finally discovered that when I
run 'tox -e py35-nocov-mysql' or 'tox -e py35-nocov-mysql -- -P hold',
tox installs the pymysql dependency, but SQLAlchemy is still using the
sqlite dialect when the tests run.

It appears I may need a [database] section in some mailman.cfg, but I
don't know what I would put there for accessing the database, and I
don't know where I'd put the .cfg.

Also, isn't this something tox should just do?

I do think that when GitLab CI runs the mysql tests it does actually use
mysql as I've seen mysql related failures there, but I don't seem to
have the magic to make it work locally.