[Mailman-Developers] Use of the public suffix list

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Wed Nov 1 22:31:46 EDT 2017

Alessandro Vesely writes:

 > * The specs say that "DMARC should be amended to use [a method
 > better than PSL] as soon as it is generally available" [1].  I
 > believe that sentence refers to RDAP, which was released more or
 > less at the same time (March 2015) [2].
 >
 > [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7489#appendix-A.6
 > [2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds/documents/

I see nothing in a quick look at the RDAP spec to suggest that an
organizational/administrative domain (AD) field has been defined.  It
seems like it's just intended to be a replacement for whois, of course
allowing extensions like delegating the AD to subdomains (or however
that would work -- it's not obvious to me).  That presumably would
either be registered in the RDAP extensions registry or as a separate
RFC.  I've seen no discussion of this on DMARC channels either.

 > Surprisingly, the publisuffix package itself is not upgraded as
 > frequently as the PSL.

I'm not surprised.  Most users of the package won't be upgrading that
frequently either, I suppose, but will rather be downloading it from
the source.

In any case, this isn't a problem for Mailman to deal with; it's easy
enough to access the public suffix list.  A site could do that as a
cron job once a day and almost all Mailman subscribers would be
protected due to our "count bounces once per day" algorithm -- only
sites with an extremely low bounce threshold would have a problem.  I
suppose there is a backscatter issue, but it's not clear to me that
that is such a big deal.

This isn't a big deal for us at the moment, and my assessment is that
it will not be one for the forseeable future.  With the exception of
WePublished1.3BillionAddressBooksToSpammers!.com and WeDidToo.com, I
haven't heard of anybody publishing p=reject except for domains that
produce only transactional mailflows.  I'm sure there are many others,
but I expect that most people will be subscribing to lists with
mailboxes whose domains either have their own _dmarc TXT record or
have an "obvious" administrative domain, or are "p=none" per default.

Do you have a reason to believe otherwise?

Steve