[Mailman-Developers] Signaling One-Click Functionality for List Email Headers

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed May 10 13:36:09 EDT 2017

On May 10, 2017, at 05:05 PM, John Levine wrote:

>>I'm not sure if anyone has followed development of RFC 8058 "Signaling
>>One-Click Functionality for List Email Headers" located at
>><https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc8058.txt> and brought this topic up on this
>>list.
>>
>>Is that something mailman(2|3) should support? To me it looks useful.

I probably need more convincing that it would actually be used out in the
field, since there are a lot of email standards that have been ignored (by
some tools) for decades.  But OTOH, if it's of some utility it doesn't look
like it would be difficult in core to support the extra header.  We'd need a
small bit of REST and db schema/style setting work so that the list itself
could be configured for one-click or not, depending on the web u/i being
used.  (E.g. maybe one-click unsub is supported in Postorius, but other sites
might not support it.)

>It would certainly make it easier to deal with grumpy gmail users,
>since gmail does not provide junk button feedback.

Let's call that the Grumpy 800lb Gorilla principle. :)

>The disadvantage is that every recipient needs to get a separate copy
>of each message, because the list and user info has to be encoded in
>the list-unsubscribe URL.  That's been standard in commercial e-mail
>for a decade, but a lot of discussion list operators still imagine
>that it's too slow.

For a while now I've thought about changing the defaults to individual
personalization (i.e. everyone gets a unique copy, but we don't modify the
headers).  I think the constraints leading us to no personalization may not
be all that prevalent any more, and there's no question that personalization
improves the user experience.