[Mailman-Developers] GSOC Project Idea discussion : Encrypted Lists

sagar kohli kohli.sagar2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 14:12:15 EST 2017

Dear Mentors.

Alter getting some idea of how encryption works, and reading about the
architecture of mailman. I would like to share the possible idea that im
thinking of which is as follows:

So basically what i was thinking is
1. Every subscriber will share there public key to the mailman server
2. Subscribers can get mailing list public key.
3. Poster will then encrypt the message with the mailing list public key
and send the message to the mailman server.
4. The message will pass through a handler to check whether the message is
encrypted or not. if the massage is not encrypted, it will get bounce back
to the the sender. Else mailman will decrypt the message, do its other
processes and then send it to all the subscriber after encrypting it with
respective public key of the subscribers.
5. The other users decrypt the message with there private key.

So the main question here is who will be allowed to get into the mailing
list and how will they subscribe to it. One idea is the owner of the list
will decide whether to accept the users request to join the list or not.
And then add his public key in the database and send him the lists public
key.

Is this the right direction im thinking in ? I really need your feedback
and suggestion on this.

regards
Sagar Kohli