[Mailman-Developers] Reg: Postorius Issue 127

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 7 13:57:28 EST 2017

On 01/07/2017 08:46 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Model: since the user's moderation bit is already set, it must be
> present.  Since you're just asked to clear it, which is a normal
> operation for bits, probably no change to model is needed.
>
> Template: implements checkbox formatting.  Needs change.

> Needs change.

In MM 3 it's a bit more complicated than that. The member's moderation
is actually one of 6 possible values. These are None, hold, reject,
discard, accept or defer with respective meanings "use the list's
default", "hold for moderator approval", "reject the message", "discard
the message", "accept the message immediately without considering other
rules" or "continue to other rules in the chain".

The only cases in which we will see a message held because of moderation
are when the user's setting is hold or is None when the list default is
hold, and probably the only case we want to deal with with a checkbox
while approving the held message is switching from None to defer.

The situation that #127 is addressing is the case where the list's
default is hold so new member's posts are held, but once a moderator
sees an on-topic post from a human member, the moderator can "clear"
future holds which means switching the member's moderation to defer.