[Mailman-Developers] What characters should be allowed in listnames

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Feb 19 01:12:52 EST 2017

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > That doesn't really address my question. That has to do with
 > internationalized email addresses. Granted the listname must be a valid
 > local part of an email address, but that doesn't mean every valid local
 > part has to be a valid list name.

The problem that I thought we may face is internationalized mailboxes
and domain names *are still ASCII* which encodes Unicode.

OK, I looked it up, and I was almost certainly wrong.  The relevant
RFCs are actually 6531 (SMTPUTF8 extension), 5890 (IDNA), and 3492
(Punycode).  IDNA allows "U-labels" (UTF-8), which we can gracefully
extend to, and "A-labels" (encoded using Punycode, which uses the
ASCII repertoire).  AFAICT (haven't really looked carefully), Punycode
uses only letters, digits, and the hyphen ("-").

So I withdraw the comment.

Thanks for your work on this, Mark!

Steve