[Mailman-Developers] Handling additions to REST API in client side

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Dec 29 07:32:16 EST 2017

Simon Hanna writes:

 > Up until now I was under the impression that the clients
 > (Postorius/Hyperkitty) always require the latest version of core.

We don't require that the client be Postorius or Hyperkitty though.
While in one sense we're not responsible for what third party clients
do *at all*, in another I don't think we should make it hard for
them.

It's also possible that a third party (hello, Systers!) might have
modified versions of the code, and not realize that their "don't fix
it 'cause it ain't broken" core isn't compatible with their
up-to-the-minute Postorius that they pulled to get Abhilash's security
patch.

 > Do we really want to add the burden of having to care for different api
 > versions in the clients?

I don't think that's the question.  The question is, "what can we do
to make things easier for developers both in the Mailman project and out?"

 > In my view backward compatibiliy should be applied so that old clients
 > can still access newer versions of core.
 > I don't think it's a good idea to require Postorius to be compatible
 > with older(all?) versions of core.

We don't.  Only the current version.  The problem is that "version" is
a potentially large set.  That *is* *our* fault (looking straight at
Barry with one forearm on the emergency exit crashbar ;-).

Steve