[Mailman-Developers] Patch: Allow definition of a default accept_these_nonmembers list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 13 16:30:51 EDT 2017

On 04/13/2017 11:18 AM, Greg Veldman wrote:

> I run a site where it is useful to have a small list of users
> who should be able to email every list.  Rather than manually
> adding them by hand each time I make a new list, it would be
> nice to be able to define a value in mm_cfg.py that would get
> set at create time.  The attached patch makes this a configurable
> item and sets the default to an empty list (as it is now).

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't plan to incorporate it upstream for a
couple of reasons. I think it could lead to requests for other
DEFAULT_*_THESE_NONMEMBERS settings, some of which might be as useful if
not more useful, but mostly, Mailman is already cluttered with too many
options making the study of Defaults.py and the ultimate configuration
of Mailman a daunting task that many just don't do.

Even simple options like this have a cost in making the configuration
process more complex.

In your specific case, you might find it more maintainable to have a
separate list whose only purpose is to be included in
accept_these_nonmembers via the @listname syntax, and in any case, it
shouldn't be too difficult to script your list creation process to use
config_list to populate accept_these_nonmembers.