[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-i18n] Translation of Mailman 3

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Sat May 28 16:27:27 EDT 2016

On 05/17/2016 04:06 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On May 17, 2016, at 03:31 PM, Simon Hanna wrote:
>
>> I guess I could take some sort of lead on that.  I played around a little
>> with pootle and I really like it. It's easy to use, fast and anyone that
>> registers can start translating.
>
> Just by way of comparison, have you played with Zanata yet?  How would you
> compare the two systems?
I used Zanata, but found it not very intuitive to use. It's also
painfully slow.
I'm unaware of any big projects that use zanata. Well openstack does,
but they use a self hosted version and that one is not faster.
I'm not sure how Mailman 2 was translated, but I guess most of the
translators did it offline. You can download translation files from
pootle and later upload them. So anyone that doesn't want to translate
in the browser, can still do it offline.

>> The main question would be selfhosting vs using gnu's hosted version.
>
> I'd really prefer not to self-host.  I don't think we're a big enough
> organization to commit to long-term maintenance.  I'm not at all questioning
> your eagerness, abilities, and availability, but life has a way of throwing
> curve balls at us[*] and I worry about 5 years in the future if interests or
> availability changes.  Also, I wonder if we wouldn't be giving up some
> economies of scale by sharing translation infrastructure with other projects.
>
>> If you want I can spin up an instance on my server and provide
>> interested people credentials to play with. (existing demo instances
>> don't allow adding/managing projects)
>
> If the i18n community wants to play with a pootle, I think that's fine.  We
> can certainly use it to compare against other services.
>
> From my perspective, I don't have too many requirements, other than that we
> can upload .pot files and download .po files when it makes sense for the
> project, which would be disconnected from the timeline for translators to
> submit translations.  Right now for MM2.1, Mark has to request updates timed
> to his releases, and I really want to avoid that.  IWBNI whatever system we
> choose had nice git integration, but that's not required.
With pootle you can always download a snapshot for a language.
I don't think any of the translation software out there has a real git
integration.

> My only other requirement is that whatever we choose be comfortable enough
> that translators *want* to use it.  As a pretty typical monolinguist, I'm
> definitely not qualified to judge that.
>
> Cheers,
> -Barry
>
> [*] Is that a euphemism that translates outside of North America? ;)
If you watch American TV shows, you know that it's origin is baseball

So If you give me the ok, I write the gnu pootle maintainers and ask
them to create three projects for us.

I guess we could add links in postorius and hyperkitty that request
assistance with translation.