[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Mar 31 13:54:18 EDT 2016

On Mar 25, 2016, at 05:58 PM, Aditya Divekar wrote:

>> A perhaps more convincing example would be an extension to anonymous
>> lists with personal reply-to.  This could be accomplished by creating
>> a mailbox at the list host, which would be associated with the user so
>> she can set options for it (eg, which address to forward to), but
>> should not have a display name associated with it, and certainly not
>> the user-level display name (which in organizational contexts --
>> including Python! -- is likely to be a real name).
>>
>Actually, the code has already been merged for the above mentioned
>automatic fallback on the user display name. So I'm not really sure about
>the next step in this issue, and think that Barry would be better qualified
>to give an opinion here than me.

Two things to keep in mind.  This comes into play for messages that Mailman
crafts out of whole cloth for notifying the user of something.  It won't be
used in messages posted to the list.

Also, although currently there's no distinction, there *could* be a difference
between None and the empty string for display_name.  The former could mean
no-fallback.

Cheers,
-Barry