[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 25 13:16:09 EDT 2016

On 03/25/2016 06:06 AM, Aditya Divekar wrote:

> My knowledge of anonymous mailing lists is a bit less. But from what I
> understand, the address for the mailbox would not have a display name for
> anonymity purposes whereas the user can have a display name, importing
> which may cause anonymity concerns.

The purpose of an anonymous list is to hide the identity of the author
of a post. There is not a need on an anonymous list to hide the
membership roster. There should be the normal controls on the visibility
of the roster, i.e. list owners only, owners and members only or public
(I'm not sure how this is handled in Postorius, I'm not up to speed
there), but that is not the concern.

The concern is that a post as archived and delivered to list members
should have nothing in it's headers (including things like From:,
Received:, Message-ID, etc.) that identify the poster or the poster's
domain. This is a function of the core. Postorius is not involved nor
are the archivers as the post has been anonymized before it gets to an
archiver.