[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Mar 22 11:10:58 EDT 2016

On Mar 23, 2016, at 12:03 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>I'm with Mark here.

Okay cool, I think we're all in agreement about how this should behave.

>I think the right thing to do is to file an RFE with Postorius to have
>the "link new address" screen "suggest" the existing display names,
>but not automatically add any.

Nice!  We can keep the model's intention and have some nice suggestions in the
ui.

> > The intention in the model is that the user's display name can be
> > used as a fallback for any linked address that has no display name.
>
>Also have a "inherit user name" value in the list.  Despite the way I
>lean above, this could be default.  But definitely EIBTI (@aditya
>"explicit is better than implicit") -- we should not take None for
>"carte blanche".

I certainly agree as far as mining for display names in linked, but not
subscribed, addresses.  However, I do want to keep the intended semantic that
if the *subscribed* address has no display name, we fall back to the linked
user record.  The idea is that a user can set their display name once, in
their user record, and won't need to set it every time they link (and
validate) a new address to their profile.

Aditya, do you think you have enough information to finish up mr !104?

Cheers,
-Barry