[Mailman-Developers] INTEREST IN IMPLEMENTING Message queue based email archiver

Florian Fuchs f at florianfuchs.com
Wed Mar 16 02:35:34 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:50:10AM -0500, Okusanya Damilola wrote:
>Thanks for your reply. I am currently studying the existing
>implementations mhonarc
>and mailarchive (both in src/mailman/archiving) and also Hyperkitty.

Good!

>Someone also mentioned in the thread that studying the GNU mailman
>architecture in the "The Architecture of Open Source Applications" would be
>helpful. Is that applicable to this scenario? I will come up with a draft
>implementation on Thursday.

This article will give you a great introduction into the general architecture
of the Mailman core, so it will certainly benefit you to read it. However,
this particular project will probably require only minimal (if any) changes
to the core.

It's a good idea to code a simple draft to check out how the IArchiver
interface works. But at this point in the GSoC application phase it's also
very important to think about where you want to go with this project, like:
Which backend(s) to choose for a start, what possible use cases could be etc.

Florian