[Mailman-Developers] INTEREST IN IMPLEMENTING Message queue based email archiver

Florian Fuchs f at florianfuchs.com
Tue Mar 15 05:20:45 EDT 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 01:34:34AM -0600, Okusanya Damilola wrote:
>Sir,
>
>My name is Okusanya Oluwadamilola. I am currently enrolled for my Masters
>programme at Saint Cloud State University at St.Cloud Minnesota. I played
>around with Apache ActiveMQ last semester and have some basic Python
>skills. Could you shed some more light about the project? Thanks for your
>prompt and favourable response.

The idea behind this project is to use Mailman's (Python-based) IArchiver
interface to add outgoing posts to a message queue (or pub/sub) system which
can be consumed by any number of applications, no matter if they're written
in Python or not -- asynchronously, even simultaneously. This would open up
Mailman to all kinds of use cases, maybe some of them beyond that of a
"traditional" mailing list.

One part of the project would be to choose and integrate a small number of
backends (ActiveMQ could be one of them, but I think both first-in-first out
as well as pub/sub are interesting concepts) to distribute list posts.

The other part is to come up with an interesting idea how this could be used
and maybe create an implementation of that too (depending on the
application's scope): Say, hooking it up to a static web page generator. Or
creating a websockets server based on this. (These are just spontaneous ideas
-- get creative!).

In order to prepare for this it makes sense to study Mailman's IArchiver
interface in the core (src/mailman/interfaces/archiver.py) and check out the
existing implementations: mhonarc and mailarchive (both in
src/mailman/archiving), but especially HyperKitty.

Florian