[Mailman-Developers] adding to REST

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Mar 15 00:53:43 EDT 2016

treal tv writes:

 > I hadn't considered this yet. I had planned to help with patches so
 > yeah, I think i'll be rebuilding from the repo! Thanks, I hadn't
 > even thought about that yet.

I think the way to think about it is that bundler is a system for
distributing a "turnkey" Mailman installation (I guess the more modern
term is "app" but we're way far from getting there!)  If you are
interested in contributing to the distribution methods themselves (and
that is *very* important, at this point distribution and upgrade from
Mailman 2 are probably more important *to our users*[1] than code
improvement), install bundler (probably alongside a repo installation,
or including a repo installation).  Otherwise, bundler itself is still
unstable, and will distract you from working on Mailman, Postorius,
and/or HyperKitty code.

Of course if you just want a working Mailman installation that you can
start up, configure, and then ignore, try bundler.  It does work for a
lot of people at some instants of time. ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  Remember, we're all volunteers.  Users are important to most core
contributors "just because we care", but you are a volunteer[2] too.
Over time we'll train you to be more user-oriented, but for now, have
fun!

[2]  That's mostly remains true if you are a GSoC intern.