[Mailman-Developers] CAPTCHA support

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 6 20:33:27 EST 2016

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > I'll be honest, I really hate captchas.

I do too, and will not work on adding them.  But they're a frequent
RFE (or were at one time), and with Google oomph behind reCAPTCHA, I
wouldn't be surprised if they rise in popularity again.  And they
don't violate any RFCs.

If Abhilash wants to work on them, let him!  As long as it's a boolean
option using an external service like reCAPTCHA (if you think
set(Google) <= set(NSA) you need not use it), the bug maintenance
burden should be low, we can always refuse future RFEs, and if it
keeps some people from trying to filter spam or spammer subscriptions
in Mailman it might even be a net configuration support win.

IMO the only tough call would be a GSoC proposal, because that
probably would force us to refuse another proposal.  There I would
advocate taking the attitude that we should look at the quality of the
students and their likelihoods of future attachment to Mailman, and
not discriminate against this particular potential project unless the
students really are quite equivalent.

Steve