[Mailman-Developers] New Interface

Harshit Bansal harshitbansal2015 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:17:22 EDT 2016

Hi,
I am thinking of adding a new interface named 'IStyleable' to the
mailman core. All the styleable attributes from the current
'IMailingList' interface will be moved to this new interface. The
current 'IMailingList' interface does not provide documentation for
all the styleable attributes. This new interface will contain all
styleable interfaces arranged in an orderly way with proper
documentation. This new interface then can be extended by the existing
'IMailingList' interface and the new 'IStyle' interface that I am
writing.

Why I felt the need of a new interface?
For constructing a new style I am taking a dictionary as an input to
the constructor which is supposed to contain all the necessary
styleable attributes and their corresponding values as key value pairs
and to check whether the dictionary contains all the styleable
attributes or not I will need to have a list of all the styleable
attributes and that can be done very easily if I have an interface
containning all the styleable attributes. I know there are other
methods of getting a list of all the attributes but they are neither
pythonic nor stable as all of them depend on python internals which
are liable to change with the version of python.

I had asked Barry for his comments but as he is busy in PyCon so he
asked me to redirect my query to mailing list. As this was blocking so
I in the meantime I wrote the new interface which can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/_Harshit_/mailman/commit/6c94e220cd5f5ba857fa003bdc17919ca6f9217b

Please provide your comments/suggestions on whether should I continue
with this or not.

Thanks,
Harshit Bansal.